What are the aims of the study?
The aim of the study was to produce measurable improvements in the management of insomnia across Lincolnshire, specifically to:
- Improve the user experience of management of insomnia.
- Reduce rate and (costs) of z-drug prescribing by 50% in 3 years
- Reduce the rate (costs) of benzodiazepine hypnotic prescribing by 25% in 3 years
- Increase use of recorded non-pharmacological measures in insomnia by at least 100% in 3 years
By achieving the above aims there will be potential recurrent costs savings exceeding £180k per annum in Lincolnshire which could:
- be used to support additional quality improvement initiatives
- increase capacity for quality improvement in areas of health priority
- lead to a real possibility of embedding quality improvement research and techniques in the day-to-day activities of Primary Care Trusts and other commissioning organisations including practice based commissioning clusters.